Study in the United Kingdom

We look forward to helping students who would like to study in the United Kingdom. You will find all the necessary information you need to study abroad.

About Studying in United Kingdom

The UK is a world leader in many areas of education including engineering, science, art and design, business and management, law and finance. The UK’s reputation and legacy as a world centre for scientific research makes it a magnet for some of the very best thinkers in the world. With only one per cent of the world’s population, the UK is responsible for eight per cent of global scientific publications.

The UK offers a world-renowned education system with qualifications that can make a real difference to your future. It attracts over 600,000 international students each year to a variety of programmes, ranging from English language courses to PhDs.

The UK education system gives students the freedom to combine courses and subjects from different areas of studies, so you can tailor your degree to your own needs and interest.

The UK education system is flexible, so you can study in a way that suits your lifestyle and career aspirations. When you study in the UK you meet people from different nationalities, sharing their backgrounds and discovering new perspectives.

One of the most popular study destinations, the UK enjoys a proud tradition of education with universities rooting back to the 12th and 13th centuries. Known for its language, history, culture and innovation, the UK has an average student retention rate of 82%. With a comprehensive support systems in place for international students, studying in UK is definitely a life-changing experience.

All about the intakes available in the UK

  1. Unlike a single intake in Nigerian universities, colleges and universities in the UK offer two main intakes. In some universities, intakes may also be referred to as a semester.
    • Autumn Intake: September to October
    • Spring Intake: January to February

    There is a third intake also available in some universities, called the Summer intake (June to August) and is available for specific programs only.

How to Get Admitted

It can get a bit confusing to choose the intake that’s best for you. Consider factors like the availability of your preferred program, your academic records, entrance test scores, acceptance rates, job opportunities and your readiness to join the program whilst making a decision.

While most Nigeria students prefer the September intake, January and April intakes are equally good for certain programs. We suggest, if you do not have your score cards ready, it’s better to skip the haste and apply for the next intake.

All UG courses applications are regulated by UCAS (UK based Universities and Colleges Admissions Service)

Why use Genuine Education?

  • Enjoy face-to-face consultation with our experienced counsellors about entry requirements and the application process for courses
  • Discover speciality course offerings that are unique to campuses in regional areas

Student visa requirements for the UK

The UK Government provides an opportunity to all Nigeria students to study in the country but as a prerequisite, you’ll have to obtain a student visa first.

The visa you need will depend on your age and the type of study you wish to pursue in the UK.

Here’s an overview of the types of study visas and their application requirements:

Type of student visa Who it’s for When to apply Arrival in the UK
Tier 4 (General) student visa Students aged 16 or over who have been offered a place in a course at a UK educational institution Three months before the start of your course Up to one week before if your course lasts six months or fewer. Up to one month before if your course lasts more than six months
Tier 4 (Child) student visa Students aged between four and 17 who have been offered a place in a course at a UK educational institution with a valid Tier 4 sponsor, such as an independent fee-paying school Three months before the start of your course Up to one week before if your course lasts six months or fewer. Up to one month before if your course lasts more than six months
Short-term study visa Students who have offered a place in a short-term course in the UK, such as an English language course or training course Three months before your date of travel to the UK Depends on your nominated travel dates
Tier 4 (General) student visa Students who have been offered a place in a course at a UK educational institution with a valid Tier 4 sponsor Three months before the start of your course Up to one month before if your course lasts more than six months

*For detailed information, please visit the Gov.UK website

Cost to study in the UK

  1. Study Program Average fee (in Euros*)
            1 Undergraduate bachelor degree GBP 10,000 to GBP 20,000 per year
    2 Postgraduate master’s degree GBP 10,000 to GBP 20,000 per year
    3 Doctoral degree GBP 15,000 to GBP 24,000 per year

    *Please note that:  all figures are indicative and PhD cost might differ as fully funded options are also available in the UK

Cost of accommodation

Most universities in the UK offer on-campus residence facilities called the Halls of Residence to international students. These can be self-catered or full board. Certain campuses also provide self-catered shared houses or flats to their students. Living as a resident on-campus is a very affordable option. However, you need to apply for it separately, and well ahead in time to secure a slot for yourself.

If you are unable to find such accommodation, you might have to look for a room on rent, homestay or find localhost. Your university’s accommodation office may help you out in this case too as they often have a list of accommodation options available in the nearby area.

Your checklist when looking for a place:

  • Costs
  • Facilities
  • Deposits
  • Inventory
  • Rent book
  • Bill payment
  • Tenancy agreement
  • Council tax
  • House rules, if any

The cost will vary from city to city. If you opt to rent an apartment, you will have to additionally pay for utility bills like electricity, internet, water usage and also tenant’s insurance (in some areas of housing). House rent for a one-bedroom apartment generally ranges between £550 and £650 (Indicative).

Note that anyone over the age of 18 living in the UK is required to pay for local community services such as rubbish collection, police, fire brigade, leisure services, etc. You’ll have to pay for council tax if you’ll be living anywhere apart from an on-campus accommodation or sharing a home with a family or other full-time student.

Ask for a tenancy agreement before moving and do not sign just any document without understanding it. In most cases, universities help the students in finding accommodation, both on-campus as well as off-campus.

The student accommodation cost depends on the type and location of the accommodation. As per the NUS/Unipol Accommodation Costs Survey, London has the highest average weekly rent of approx. £157.48 per week and the cheapest rooms are in Northern Ireland costs around £83.01 per week.

Cost of your student visa and permit

To study in the UK, the first step is to secure a valid study visa and that comes with its own costs (approx. £348). Feel free to consult your IDP counsellor for latest updates and information on the visa application process and related costs.

Read more: All about British student visa

Living expenses

You need to keep a little money aside for your grocery shopping, social activities, and emergencies. When living in a foreign country as a student, it is better to keep track of your expenditures so that you do not overspend.

Expenses Approximate cost (monthly)
Bills (electric/ gas/ water) £40 – £50
Food and housekeeping £160 – £200
TV licence (mandatory with TV or watching BBC online) £12.56 (or £150.50 per year)
Mobile phone £15 – £50
Clothes and shoes £25
Leisure & sports (calculated on membership for the students’ sports centre) £10 – £20
Books & stationery £21
Socialising £120
Travel & transport (based on the monthly cost of a student bus pass) £32
Childcare (if needed) £656

Please note that all figures are indicative.

Health support and insurance

Several UK universities have initiated comprehensive health insurance plans for international students, but that is applicable as long your program is ongoing and ceases upon completion.

Read more about it here.

According to the National Health Service (NHS), you are required to pay £300 yearly for the duration the visa will be granted. However, the minimum amount varies based on leaves:

Leaves period The amount payable for the year
If your leaves include a part of a year that is 6 months or less £150
If your leaves include a part of a year that is more than 6 months £300

Also, Tier 4 dependants are required to pay the surcharge. The immigration health charge will also be added to your visa application fee. If you already have a medical insurance in India, you can check whether if it can be extended to cover your stay in the UK.

Transportation cost.

Unless your institution provides with a shuttle service to-and-fro from your lodging, you’ll have to rely on the available public transport.

For short distances You can make use of regional trains, buses, taxis, and tubes. It is a good idea to get monthly passes for travelling to college and back as these can be fairly cheap. When taking a taxi, make sure that it runs on the meter; if it doesn’t have one, agree on the fare beforehand to avoid any misunderstanding later on. In case you plan to use a personal vehicle, you will have to include car and fuel bills, car insurance, repairs, and taxes in your expense sheet.
For long distances For travelling between different cities, you can avail any of the following options:

  • Long-distance bus
  • Rail
  • Air


students in the UK are allowed to work 20 hours per week during academic sessions and full-time during vacations.

If you have a job while you are studying in the UK, then you’ll also have to pay the tax and national insurance:

  • Income tax: If you earn more than £1,042 a month on average – this will be your personal allowance
  • National insurance: If you earn more than £166 a week

Your employer usually deducts Income Tax and National Insurance from your wages through Pay As You Earn (PAYE).

Remember, the exchange rate variations may also affect your budgeting. We suggest you also look for a part-time job while you are studying in the UK or seek scholarships in the universities you apply to. This can help lower your cost of studying abroad to a great extent.

The Admission Procedure to study in the UK

A completed application form with Application fee (NGN 50,000.00)
Academic Transcripts & Certificates
Statement of purpose
Two Recommendation Letters (for few courses, and on Original letterheads preferably)
English Language Certificate – IELTS/TOEFL/Letter from University confirming medium of instruction
Three Passport size Photographs – (optional)
Work Experience Certificate or Appointment letter (preferably on the original letter heads)
Conditional offer letter:

Consultancy Fee  – NGN 100.000:00 Plus 5% VAT must be pay later after admission.

For Students applying with incomplete documents like TOEFL/ IELTS or students awaiting results. Students may also be asked to deposit some of his tuition fee and it 50% in most of the cases required by institutes.

Lead time for offer letter

One hour to four weeks depending on fulfilling requirements, like if no English proficiency document is submitted than Skype Interviews are conducted and it consume some extra time.
Apply Online:

For undergraduate admissions, applications can be made through Lekkside or through Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) . UCAS is an online process. One UCAS application form enables you to apply for up to 5 universities in the UK.
For postgraduate study applications are made directly to universities or through us for better assistance for swift process and following documents are mostly provided.
IELTS requirement can be waived at a UK University for gifted (exceptional) students but for this the Academic Registrar at the Higher Education
The following documents you will require to apply in your desired studies abroad programme:

All Academic documents

Academic reference letters from professors who have taught you most recently or employers.
Statement of Purpose.
Curriculum Vitae / Resume (optional).
English proficiency test results.
Portfolio (in case of Students applying for art and design courses & Architecture programs).
Others (Certificates / achievements at the State and National Level and extracurricular activities).
Passport copy.
Completing your application form:
Once you have completed and submitted your application form with your documents, your application is then considered by the Admissions Tutor for your particular degree scheme and their decision is sent to you . You will receive e-mail confirmation from institute/UCAS when the admissions tutor has made a decision on your application and you have to respond to the decision of unconditional offer by firm acceptance of declining the offer through UCAS.
For Postgraduate study you have to reply directly to the university or through us:
If you hold a conditional offer, you have to fulfill that condition. Condition may be passing some relevant exams and obtaining certain grades or/and making fee deposits. The payment options vary from institute to institute, usually one term or 50% of fee deposit is required to have a unconditional admission / Confirmation Of Acceptance for studies which is issued by UKBA.
Obtaining Valid CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies):
This will be a letter from your institution confirming that a place has been offered to you and that the course is full-time. The CAS letter should state how long the course will last. Where your course is more advanced and specialized, the CAS letter should also state what level of English is needed for the course (giving minimum test marks, if appropriate) and confirm that you satisfy this requirement.