Study in Australia

We look forward to helping students like you who are considering schooling in Australia. You will find everything you need to compile your necessary research in deciding if Australia is the best place for you.

About Studying In Australia

Australian universities and colleges have an excellent reputation for quality international education with several in the Top 200 University Ranking. For many students, studying in Australia is about the opportunity to live a unique lifestyle – explore the natural wonders of its oceans and rainforests, enjoy weather like home and the buzz of its cosmopolitan cities.

Whatever your interest, you will find an Australian course and an Australian university or college that suits your needs. English language colleges are located in all major cities, and provide an intensive and fun language experience in an English-speaking country.

World-class research facilities and supervisors provide masters or research students in Australia with access to the very best minds and resources, in a wide range of study areas. Studying in Australia promotes innovative, creative and independent thinking – valued by employers worldwide.

Living expenses

You need to keep a little money aside for your grocery shopping, social activities, and emergencies. When living in a foreign country as a student, it is better to keep track of your expenditures so that you do not overspend. According to the Australian Government, general living expenses amount to $21,041 per year. An international student spends between $20,000 and $27,000 per year (given your living arrangements and personal choices). You should also consider these common expenses when creating your budget:

Living expenses Weekly budget (indicative)
Groceries and eating out $140 to $280 per week
Gas, electricity $10 to $20 per week
Phone and Internet $15 to $30 per week
Public transport $30 to $60 per week
Car (after purchase) $150 to $260 per week
Entertainment $80 to $150 per week

Housing cost

Most universities in Australia offer on-campus residence facilities to international students. You can also opt for off-campus accommodation wherein you can share apartments with other students from India or stay with a local Australian family. The rent is usually paid every two weeks in advance. Remember, the rentals vary from city to city.

Accommodation type Expenses (Indicative)
Hostels and Guesthouses $90 to $150 per week
Shared Rental $95 to $215 per week
On-campus $110 to $280 per week
Homestay $235 to $325 per week
Rental $185 to $440 per week
Boarding schools $11,000 to $22,000 a year

Health support and insurance cost

It is mandatory for all students scheduled to travel to Australia from Nigeria to get medically insured before the commencement of their program. The average cost for medical insurance ranges around AUD 500 a year (indicative). Extensive health and support services are readily available for all Nigeria students in Australia.

Cost of transportation

Unless your institution provides a shuttle service to-and-fro from your lodging, you’ll have to rely on the available public transport.

For short distances You can make use of regional trains, buses, and trams. A short ride on a bus or train can cost you around AUD 3. You can get a weekly pass upwards of AUD 20 or a monthly pass for AUD 80. Student discounts are easily available in all states and territories apart from Victoria.
For long distances For travelling between different cities, you can avail any of the following options:

  • Long-distance bus
  • Rail
  • Air


Nigerian students in Australia cannot work without acquiring their Tax File Number (TFN). With this, you are allowed to work 20 hours per week during academic sessions and full-time during vacations. If you choose to work along with your studies, your earned income will be taxable.

Remember, the exchange rate variations may also affect your budgeting. We suggest you also look for a part-time job while you are studying in Australia or seek scholarships in the universities you apply to. This can help lower your cost of studying abroad to a great extent.

Why use Genuine Education?

  • Enjoy face-to-face consultation with our experienced counsellors about entry requirements and the application process for courses in regional Australia
  • Discover speciality course offerings that are unique to campuses in regional areas
  • Learn about Universities based in cities like Canberra, Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast and many more

How to apply for an Australian student visa

The Australian Government provides an opportunity to all Nigeria students to study in the country but as a prerequisite, you’ll have to obtain a student visa first. The visa you need will depend on your age, the type of study you want to pursue, and how long you want to stay in Australia. As an international student, you would most commonly require a student (subclass 500) visa, regardless of your field of study.

Student visa (subclass 500)

Coming into effect since July 1, 2016, a student subclass 500 visa lets you stay in Australia for the duration of your study program, which is mostly up to five years and in line with your enrolment date. For a smooth stay, you need to ensure that your visa remains valid and you abide by the conditions mentioned on your student visa. You can read up in detail about this kind of visa on the Australian Government.

Scope of your subclass 500 visa

  • You can participate in your desired study program
  • You can be accompanied by your family members to Australia
  •  You can apply in or outside Australia through online portal

Basic checks before you apply

  • You should be enrolled in your desired study program in Australia
  • You should hold Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) or either fall in any of the exemption categories
  • You must be equal to or more than 6 years
  • You need to prove that you have a welfare arrangement (in case you are less than 18 years of age)

Documents required

When applying for your student visa for Australia, you will generally need:

  • Proof of enrolment (your electronic confirmation of enrolment)
  • A valid passport
  • Your visa application fee
  • Your Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement
  • Academic and work experience documents
  • Evidence of your English proficiency skills (such as IELTS test scores)
  • Evidence of financial ability (tuition fees, living expenses, expenses for dependents, return airfare)
  • Details of your health insurance policy
  • Statement of purpose
  • Passport-sized photographs

Please Note: If you are under 18 years of age, you will also need to provide additional documents such as parental consent.

Applying for your visa online

You will need to create an account using DIBP’s online application system to complete and submit your student visa application. You can also track the status of your visa through your Immi Account once you have submitted it. You should submit your application no later than six weeks before your course starts, and no earlier than 12 weeks.

How we can help with visa applications

If you’re with an offer letter from any of our partner institutions in Australia, we can advise you on how to go about the entire process. We’ll make sure you are fully informed on the latest visa requirements and conditions; also help you prepare the right documents for your submission.

Our team of experts will direct you to the official websites and to authorised immigration representatives to ensure you have the latest applications forms and guidance. To reduce the hassle, we also help to certify, translate and courier your documents.

Australian 4 years of post-study work rights

This was introduced on 16th November 2019, the new visa allows post-study work rights for international students up to 4 years in regional Australia. If you have been aspiring to study in Australia, there is one more reason to lock on to your decision – the latest update on the new 485 post-study work stream visa!

Now you can enjoy extended post-study work rights in Australian regional areas and live your dream. With the recent changes declared by the Australian Government, Australia now offers up to 4 years of Post-Study Work (PSW) rights to international students post completion of their respective Bachelors or Masters Degree in regional areas.

A few top and popular cities such as Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Canberra, Newcastle/Lake Macquarie, Wollongong/Illawarra, Geelong and Hobart now offer 1 year of additional PSW (total of 3 years). In fact, where you become eligible for PSW for up to 4 years upon the completion of your degree.

What is this new 485 post-study work stream visa?

It’s a great opportunity to stay back and work in Australia for a longer duration! This new post-study work stream visa, offered by the Australian Government enables you to study, live, and work in the designated regional areas of the country, for up to four years.

This is a great update as now you can plan for your career in a better manner, having a wider range of areas accessible to study and work, besides a longer duration of post-study work visa validity.

Who can apply?

As an international student, if you wish to work in Australia upon the completion of your studies for a longer duration (up to four years), then this is for you. The good news is that this visa allows you complete study and work rights, besides allowing the freedom to travel to and from Australia as long as it is valid.

Things you should know

  • Your field of specialization will not be a determining factor as this post-study work visa doesn’t have an occupations list. But ensure you are studying at the right levels
  • You should have a degree from a CRICOS-registered course
  • Skills assessment isn’t requisite to apply for this visa
  • You need to fulfil the English language proficiency requirements
Definition Locations Incentives for international students
Major Cities Sydney
Regular 2 years post-study work visa for international students completing Bachelors and Masters degrees (minimum 92 weeks), 3 years for Masters by Research and 4 years for PhD. graduates
Cities and major regional centres Perth
Gold Coast
Sunshine Coast Canberra Newcastle/Lake Macquarie
Wollongong/Illawarra Geelong
International students studying at regional universities will be eligible to access an additional year in Australia on a post-study work visa
(Which means a Bachelors or Masters graduate can get up to 3 years of PSW visa)
Regional centres and other regional areas All other locations International students studying at regional universities will be eligible to access an additional 2 years in Australia on a post-study work visa (Which means a Bachelors or Masters graduate can get up to 4 years of PSW visa)

More information

The post-study work stream visa can open doors to an exciting career in Australia. This means, more options, more exposure, and yes, more employability. Australia’s regional cities are a great place to study, work and live – offering a highly attractive combination of a world-class university education and a great lifestyle. While Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney are already popular, the equally important cities like Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Canberra now become more attractive to international students. This may be creating a sustainable balance and more opportunities for everyone and also that education and employment opportunities that are available across Australia are taken up by students rather than competing in a concentrated space. There are economic opportunities that are all around the country and the new policy will advantage the international students in many ways.

Important information about studying in Australia

  • Learn more about intake dates, application deadlines, student visas and English language requirements before applying to an Australian University or College.
  • Main intake in February each year with the second intake in July (some providers also have an October intake too). The application deadline for February intake is Nov/Dec – earlier for more competitive courses.
  • Minimum visa requirements – full offer letter from your chosen institution, proof of payment, eCOE (electronic confirmation of enrolment) and proof of funds to cover course fees and living expenses. Visit the Australia Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship for further information.
  • The preferred English language test is IELTS.

Get informed, speak to us to find out all the benefits about studying and living regionally:

Study in Canada

Check out what you need

Study in Germany

Has academic expertise

Study in France

Affordable tuition fees